Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Waiting for the first radish of summer!

Last year for Mother's Day I was given a wonderful gift of a garden box.  I always like to plant a couple of veggies every year, but taking on a full garden seems very overwhelming to me, so this was the perfect solution!  I wasn't able to use it last year because assembly and staining it took me a lot longer than expected, but ta da...it's ready to go for this summer!

It looks like just a bunch of dirt right now, but soon this garden box will be full of lettuce, spinach, radishes, peas, tomatoes, and peppers!


And this is my cute little herb pot.  I have found that herbs are super easy to grow and can take my abuse.  I tend to be forgetful about watering and care, but this year I am turning over a new leaf. 

I simply can't wait for the first radish of summer.  Growing up my Grandma often had fresh radishes from her garden, and somewhere along the way one of my favorite things to eat became bread and butter radish sandwiches.  Plain ol' white bread spread with butter, with sliced radishes on top.  A little bit of salt over the beautiful red veggies finishes it off.  Just thinking about it takes me right to Grandma's sunny kitchen.  Whether a quick lunch after playing outside with the animals all morning or an afternoon snack after walking beans, a radish sandwich represents some of the best memories of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment